Thursday, August 8, 2024

The Color Purple Review

To cut this review extremely short, The Color Purple is excellent. It tells a very gripping story, the characters are engaging and you want to see them become happy, and the music and staging is excellent. Go see it if the movie piques your interest even slightly. 

What's The Movie About?

The Color Purple tells the story of Celie, a black woman who is separated from her sister and forced to marry an abusive farmer by her abusive father, learning to stand up for herself and escape her truly shitty situation. 

What I Like.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the music. Despite not being religious, I love spirituals and hymns, I find their energy infectious and the music extremely catchy. I also like blues, which is pretty much all the music in the movie. The spirituality of this movie was interesting as well, even though it was was being applied to me, a staunch non God-believer. I appreciate that the movie handles really intense topics, but in a way that doesn't make me want to turn my head. Also, I knew nothing about the story before watching this movie, so I was pleasantly surprised when suddenly lesbians happened. I also appreciate that the message is that forgiveness is good, but don't go back to your piece of shit ex-husband even if he has changed his ways. John Batiste from Stay Human was a surprise cameo and I liked that. Oh yeah, and all the acting is really good.

What I Didn't Like.

Uh... There was a scene where it looked like there was Coca-Cola cooler in the background which I think looked anachronistic. There's a bit where the drunk husband is telling Celie that she's too ugly to make it in Memphis and I'm just like "What the hell are you talking about? Everyone in this movie is gorgeous except your dad." I dunno this movie is really good. 

Final Summation.

Like I said before, the Color Purple is an excellent movie, and tells a story which all would benefit to experience. My biggest criticism is that there wasn't any Wow Factor. If you've seen the trailer and know the story it's exactly what you expect, there's nothing crazy to excite you. But so what? There's nothing wrong with something that meet expectations the best it possibly can. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oscars 2025

It's that time again! The time where everyone gets highly critical of film criticism culture, even though barely anyone actually cares a...