Before we get into actual reviews and opinions, let's start with why this blog exists, who I am, and why I decided to see almost every movies that comes out this year.
Why does this blog exist?
This blog exists to help excise opinions from my mind. I'll be honest, I don't expect anyone read these reviews much less actually care about my opinions. But screaming into the void is a fun past time.
Who am I?
My name is Roan, I work as a server/bartender/runner in a local theater chain. It's like a theater where you can order food at your seat. (Yeah yeah, the blog title says usher but let's be real What Your Server Thinks doesn't let you know I work at a theater as well.) The rest of this section is just gonna be me describing myself in order to establish my perspective so if you don't care move on to the next section.
I am white. I am nonbinary, born male. I am pansexual. I was born into and maintain living as a middle class American. And I've never been anywhere outside of America. I live in the Midwest. I am a member of Generation Z according to the first university that popped up on Google. I am a self-described punk. I am politically liberal. (Like intensely so, don't get me started.) I hate Capitalism but also can't live anywhere else in the world. I support the troops but hate the military industrial complex. I am an atheist, but work hard to not make that my entire personality. I like rock and punk music. I have a good relationship with both my parents. I was not popular in school. My dad introduced me to most my hobbies. My favorite types of movies are superhero, monster, and sci-fi movies. My favorite movie is Shazam! from 2018. I am a self-described nerd. I read comics and play tabletop games. I am an amateur game designer. Uhhhh.... I'm scared of dogs...
Why did I decide to see every* movie that comes out in 2024?
Basically because I can. As a benefit for my job, I am allowed to see one movie a week. But my managers do not care if people break the "once a week" rule, so as an anarchist corporate drone I feel it is my duty to exploit this lack of caring. Also my social life outside of work kinda imploded in 2023, so I don't really have anything better to do.
Finally, let's disabuse some notions.
For starters, I am not a professional film critic. I have not studied film beyond watching YouTube videos. I do not know the first thing about making film and don't really have an interest in learning. I mostly look at films from the perspective of the layman, because I am a layman. Additionally, I swear a lot. I make some inappropriate jokes. I make nihilistic jokes. I occasionally make jokes about committing suicide. I do not intend offend and work to avoid such, but I also do not take steps to remove my politics from my reviews, and use my beliefs and opinions to inform them. If this will be a problem for you, do not engage with my reviews. You will not enjoy them and I do not care if you get upset. As a final note, I do not plan to have any consistent upload schedule. I will post my reviews when I write them. As I cannot see movies for free the weekend they open, I will not be able to get any reviews out before the majority of people see the movie, so don't come looking for purchase advice unless you are okay with seeing movies weeks after they come out.
One last note: Spoiler policy!
Like pretty much everything else, I am not going to stress too much about spoilers. I don't like spoiling movies if I feel like the experience is worth while, so I wouldn't spoil a plot twist in a good movie. But other times I need to make a point and I will not hesitate to spoil. Basically if I am going to recommend the movie, I'm less likely to spoil the movie.
No comments:
Post a Comment