Friday, September 27, 2024

Transformers One Review

Yes finally! I get to talk about Transformers! The franchise I am absolutely obsessed with! A franchise that is so cool and good, while also being super cheesy and terrible! A franchise that is about an epic clash of ideologies over centuries, the corruption of power turning a noble hero of the people into a tyrant, and seeing how many gimmick toys they can sell to children by making them one note characters. A franchise that has Satan as a planet eater, God as a planet, and Jesus as a psychiatrist, ALL BEING TRANSFORMING ROBOTS AS WELL.  THIS IN THE SAME UNIVERSE AS THE MY LITTLE PONIES, GHOSTBUSTERS, AND STAR TREK! Okaaaay, deep breathes Roan. Stay on focus just talk about this movie.

I was excited as soon as I saw this trailer. Don't get me wrong, there was like a 65% chance it would be completely awful, but the designs looked like they took inspiration from the original cartoons! So many of the cartoons after Gen 1 try to make the Transformers sleek or make them look like every other mech or robot that already exists. And don't even get me started on the metal shard monstrosities that the Michael Bay movies used. Also, the trailer music was dope. I actually watched this movie before The Substance, but I decided that I just wanted to sit and enjoy the movie without worrying about a review for my first viewing. (Also I watched it super late and kinda forgot to take notes until halfway through the movie.)

What's The Movie About?

This movies is a retelling of the origins of Optimus Prime and Megatron, where they both start out as miners who can't transform, but team up with Elita-1 and Bumblebee to travel to the surface and regain their transformation cogs, discover the truth about their world, and step into the roles they are more recognizable for.

What I Like.

First off, the animation is amazing. The textures and shine on everyone is pitch perfect. The details on character models and movement is spectacular. I love that the cog-less bots are all grimy and dirty while the one who can transform are shiny and polished. The designs of the Transformers are excellent. They definitely take inspiration from the G1 designs, WHICH ARE THE BEST DESIGNS DON'T COME FOR ME I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL, and the reflections on various characters and objects is sublime. The story is great. I love the message of rising against corrupt authority without become too consumed with vengeance that you become a bigger threat. And the action is awesome, with really creative set pieces! The Cybertron presented in this movie is the coolest Cybertron ever, I like that it actually has wildlife and that the planet's landscape is ever-shifting and transforming ehhhhh. That joke was bad and you should feel inadequate. I always do Buggnutz. The attention to detail and franchise callbacks is a lot of fun. The first time watching the movie, every time there was a group shot of background characters, I'd just be scanning the crowds seeing what transformers I could recognize. And they aren't in people's face about it. There will be parts where characters are transforming and I swear there's some parts-forming in the mix, but nobody comments on it. 

And finally, little bits that I only like because I'm a dumb Transformers fan: I really like how the Quintessons look in this movie, they are like cyborg Cthulhu monstrosities with exposed sinew. I'm glad they chose Elita-One to be the female lead in this movie, I feel like the usual default is Arcee and Elita, if she's even mentioned, is a background character. But considering her origins in the first cartoon, I think she makes so much more sense here. I like how they showcase Transformers' abilities to do little transformations, like Optimus needs to go faster, he transform some jets onto his truck form. All of the future Decepticons being the Cybertronian High Guard and dogmatically following who they perceive is the stronger bot is really fun, and makes sense that they eventually take over the planet as they are led by Megatron. I wasn't sure about the Energon returning to the Cybertron at the end of the movie but thinking about it, it work considering how G1 starts out. I also love when Megatron becomes evil, his eyes go red and they do a cool streaking light effect in some scenes, awe it looks frickin' awesome!

What I Didn't Like.

Just the voice acting, really. It's not that it's bad, but it's absolute stunt casting of the highest degree. Nobody really melds into their characters except for Lawrence Fishburne, and the only one who really make the character their own is Steve Buscemi. Again, it's not bad, and Chris Hemsworth is trying to sound like Optimus. But it's definitely the lowest part of the movie. 

Final Summation.

Transformers has been truly great 5 times. The original 80s animated movie, the Bumblebee movie I heard was pretty good, anytime Transformers Prime was allowed to cook and wasn't clearly trying to push toys, the 2019 IDW comic line, and the Deck Building Game. With the introduction of this movie, increase the number to 6! THIS MOVIE IS AWESOME! It was incredible entertaining for me, a Transformers Fan, I think kids will really like it, and parents probably won't fall asleep during it. If you have any slight interest in the movie or the property, check this movie out. It's SOOOOOO GOOD! (Seriously, play the Deck Building Game if you have a chance. It slaps.)

Anyway, now onto an exhaustive detailing on every Transformers Continuity, and which one this falls into. CODE ALPHA SIGMA, SHUT THE REVIEW DOWN! NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oscars 2025

It's that time again! The time where everyone gets highly critical of film criticism culture, even though barely anyone actually cares a...