If there is one thing I love, it's blasphemy. Okay, okay, jokes aside, I was legitimately excited for this movie. I really like theology and religion from an academic standpoint, and I'm always down to see different perspectives and takes on mythology. Plus, man, the trailer and premise was super cool. I love me some grifters.
What's The Movie About?
Clarence is a weed dealer in debt to a gang boss, and since the movie takes place in biblical times, his get rich quick scheme is to become a false messiah. Also, everyone in the movie is black except for the Roman soldiers and one beggar. This (apparently) is the first time Jesus has been depicted in a movie as a black man. If that offends you, read an actual historical textbook while touching some grass.
What I Like.
This movie is style over substance, so my real recommendation comes on whether you can enjoy that or not. I can, and the style of the movie is pretty awesome. I also enjoyed all the characters in the movie, I know a bit of the bible and it was pretty interesting to see how they cast and performed various figures from the time. I love how Jesus is just basically an X-Man and for the first half of the movie you never see his face. There's one character called Barabbas the Immortal, who is the coolest motherfucker ever. Speaking of cool, there is two scenes in particular I goddamn love, one involving Barabbas and another with the Last Supper. The music in the movie is also top notch. I mean, obviously, Jay-Z not only produced but provided music for the soundtrack along with a bunch of other black artists. Of course it's good. And the movie is pretty funny too.
What I Don't Like.
As previously mentioned, the style of the movie certainly overtakes the substance, and while I'm totally behind it, there were still some moments where I was like "Wait, this scene doesn't make sense with the world you set up." AND THAT ENDING! The ending is horrible. It pulls my most hated cliche out of a hate. Skip to the next section if you want to avoid spoilers but, hey Movie Writers. If you are out there reading this, STOP BRING CHARACTER'S WHO HAVE AN EMOTIONAL DEATH SCENE BACK TO LIFE. IT CHEAPENS THE PREVIOUS SCENE AND MAKES THE AUDIENCE LOSE ALL INVESTMENT CURRENT SCENE, IF NOT THE ENTIRE MOVIE.
Final Summation.
I actually finished writing the reviews from the other movies I saw the same day I saw Book of Clarence. But I want to release my reviews in the order I see these movies, and I was very split on whether to recommend this movie or not. Because those cool moments are pretty damn cool. And I got pretty invested in Clarence and his story. But god help me that ending is horrible. Honestly, if I could let you know when to leave early without spoiling the ending, I'd tell you to just leave during the final scene.
My point is I was left in a predicament. Do I tell you not to go see this movie with cool style that was written, directed, produced, and most acted by black people just because some scenes made no sense and the ending blew chunks? I had to stew for a bit before I realized. I don't want to be a white person telling you not to go see a black movie because I have some problems. Yes, I'm recommending this movie because of white guilt, deal with it.
No, but seriously, there's some pretty cool shit in this movie, and I would definitely be interested in seeing more movies like this.

No comments:
Post a Comment