Friday, August 9, 2024

Trap Review

Oh boy. It's here. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy *breaks down sobbing*. If you don't know why I'm reacting like this, go read my review for the Watchers. Seriously. I put a lot of work into that review, it's one of my favorites. I think the marketing for the movie is annoyed me the most in the lead up to the viewing. Like Shyamalan, my dude, people only think a third of your movies are good. Should you really call them "experiences"? Needless to say I was not looking forward to watching Trap.

What's The Movie About?

Josh Hartnett is a serial killer who the feds find out is going to a concert, so he needs to escape the trap (eeeeeyyyyyy) they set for him. 

What I Like.

The acting is fine. Yeah, some of it is the Shyamalan special, but I liked Josh Hartnett and there was a couple other parts that were pretty good. The story is interesting, and the twist isn't that bad. I'd even say it works, but you need to let it explain itself. Music was nice. Saleka is a very talented singer, and I think she did a decent job of taking over as the main character towards the end. It was fun watching all the tricks Josh was doing to try to find a way to escape and how he was stonewalled at every turn. And when the movie finally ended, I thought the last shot was fun. And of course, the cinematography is good. There's a great free camera shot at the end I took note of. 

What I Didn't Like.

Watching this movie made me anxious. Not in a "Oh, I can't wait/I'm dreading what's gonna happen" sense, but in a "You're waiting for your grandfather to say something abhorrent so your mother starts a fight with him that's so bad you want to crawl under the table and cry" sense. I'm not enjoying the energy of what's happening, but I know when the other shoe drops, I'm going to hate it even more. To the movie's credit, that shoe never does drop, but I still felt kinda sick waiting. Didn't help that the movie's flabby. Roan you complain about every movie being too long. Sorry I guess? This movie feels like it's gonna end like five times, and there's also an extremely unnecessary annoying neighbor character. Even M Night's cameo is like four times longer that usual. 

Final Summation.

Trap is painfully mediocre. I was undercut. My plan, as I assumed this movie was gonna be was gonna be laughably bad, was I was gonna do a whole joking fake review before this praising this movie as the best thing I've ever seen and insist nothing could top it, so why bother trying, really the guy who made it should just retire. But it's not worth the effort. The only reason I'm rejecting the movie is because the marketing was way too cocky. So see it if you're a big Shyamalan fan or if you don't mind paying fifteen bucks to sort of sleep through a concert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oscars 2025

It's that time again! The time where everyone gets highly critical of film criticism culture, even though barely anyone actually cares a...