Thursday, August 8, 2024

Immaculate Review

Man I know nothing about this movie. The poster just arrived in theater a couple months ago. I didn't even realize it was coming out as soon as it was. I like the poster though. It's simple, but conveys that it's a horror movie about nuns. I like the subtle blood on the habit. And- Wait a minute... Zoom! Enhance!

SHIT!

Okay doing research apparently this is a movie Ms. Sweeney wanted to get made so she produced it as well as starred in. I don't know anything about what she's like in real life, but my god. Nothing I've seen her in I've liked, and she was a major reason why. The fact that she is the sole credit and marketing feature on the poster does not inspire confidence. 

What's The Movie About?

Sydney is a new nun at a convent who seemingly conceives immaculately (Ey title drop kinda), although her nightmares, the overbearing control from the priests and older nuns, and her body literally rotting away makes her suspicious of the circumstances.

What I Like.

This movie's actually pretty good. I know, I'm shocked too. For starters, this is the first horror movie I've seen this year so far that was actually scary. Immaculate builds tension wonderfully, and when it is broken the camera shies away from nothing. There's some pretty gruesome gore, but it still feels subtle since it's not frequent, nor does it feel like a spectacle. I really enjoyed the story. I did guess exactly what was happening, but I felt really clever when it was revealed. I love mystery movies so much because guessing what is happening is so fun and the good ones make you feel incredibly smart when you guess it right. This movie gave me exactly the same feeling. And hell Sidney didn't do a bad job in this movie! Admittedly, she only really had to act confused or scared, but it was much better acting then her last two movies. And I really liked the ending. I think all horror movies should just go ballistic at the end. It's so entertaining. 

What I Didn't Like.

There was a couple things I thought could be explained a little better, but honestly it's not that big of a deal. What is a bigger deal is that the opening sucks. For one, I don't how the girl who gets killed is or was supposed to be. Two, it reveals who the villains are way too early. 

Final Summation.

I get why someone would push to make this movie. It's a pretty fun time if you like the spooky stuff. Good on ya Sydney Sweeney! You've proven that you can at least pick interesting ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oscars 2025

It's that time again! The time where everyone gets highly critical of film criticism culture, even though barely anyone actually cares a...