Monday, August 26, 2024

Blink Twice Review

We had this poster for a while, and without getting into spoilers, it's even better poster than it might seem at first. I only saw the trailer twice before the movie came out, and I was hooked. I love a mystery, and the trailers touted "Blink and you'll miss it", which is incredibly cocky. I had to see what this movie was doing.

What's The Movie About?

Naomi Ackie and her friend are invited by evil billionaire Channing Tatum to his private island and they seem to be forgetting things...

There is a trigger warning for sexual assault before the movie. Take it seriously. I don't really get into it for the review, but the movie is not messing around.

What I Like.

So the story of the movie is good. It's a nice mystery and I certainly had my eyes glued to the screen for the entire movie. There were even quite a few moments where my jaw dropped due to where the movie went. The acting is great as well, there's an excellent moment where Channing gets to just chew the scenery, but these aren't the reasons to watch the movie. The reason to watch the movie is because of the cinematography, editing, and sound design. ...Are you being serious Roan? Dead serious Buggnutz. I know it sounds like a backhanded compliment, but it's not. Let me put it this way, I KNOW I missed details just from looking down at my phone to take notes. There is so many little details hidden between cuts, or out of focus in the background. And for like half the movie the sound effects are the scariest part. Again, sounds like a backhanded compliment, but it's really good. And everything is tied up by the end of the movie, even little innocuous details like a particular statue breaking. As cliche as this line is, this movie is a Masterclass of the craft of making a movie. I don't really want to get into more details for risk of spoiling the movie, but the marketing was right.

What I Didn't Like.

My only complaint is more with myself than with the movie. I want to hate Channing Tatum in this movie way more than I do. I can't help it, even when he's explaining his reasoning for the incredibly horrible things he's doing and even though I think it's all bullshit and I know that's on purpose, I still kinda like him. You're fucked in the head. HE'S INCREDIBLY CHARMING I'M SORRY. Also, I feel like it's really easy to underthink or overthink the ending, which you really shouldn't do. And because of that I would bet I'm gonna have to defend my liking of it in some lovely arguments, really looking forward to that.

Final Summation.

I really liked this movie. It has surpassed MaXXXine as the second best horror movie of the year, for those who are trying to predict my horror movie top ten at the end of the year. Check it out. Horror movies as allegories are not anything new, but they are some of the best flicks out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oscars 2025

It's that time again! The time where everyone gets highly critical of film criticism culture, even though barely anyone actually cares a...