What?! You've never seen Alien!? How can you call yourself a sci-fi fan? Yeah yeah yeah. Shut up Buggnutz. I've never engaged with the Alien franchise at all. I've heard all about them, of course, but unlike a bunch of other famous franchises I don't actually know the plots of any of the movies. All I know is Ellen Ripley, and the xenomorphs. Actually, now that I think about it, I have seen two Alien movies. I've seen both Alien Vs Predator movies. The first one was okay.
What's The Movie About?
A commercial space freighter called the Nostromo receives a mysterious signal, and by contract they are forced to check it out. And just like every time anyone is forced to do something by contract, something really bad happens. Also, this was the special 45th anniversary rerelease, sO dOn'T fOrGeT aLiEn: RoMuLuS iS cOmInG oUt.
What I Like.
Not to sound like an old person, but man. They do not make them like they used to. This movie is really damn scary. I spent the entire movie with my toes clenched against my feet. The tension built is masterful. And it's not even that gore-y or disgusting. With the exception of that one scene that everyone knows, I don't think there is any gore. The xenomorph is kinda icky, but you barely see it throughout the film. There's very little in the movie itself where, by itself, you would be scared or disturbed. But the use of music, close-ups, and shadows makes the horror and tension permeate every inch of the film. Even stuff I wouldn't like in other movies is great in Alien. This movie has the most effective jumpscare I've ever seen. Seriously. Alien is so scary that it has the only jumpscare that I like. There's a lot of shaky cam and close-ups obscuring the action, but it just makes the actions scenes more tense. (The close-ups/shaky cam also mostly happen when the action has already been established and isn't that interesting. Like we already saw Ripley running down a corridor, so making that part shaky isn't a big deal.) Hell, I could only understand half the dialogue in the movie, and it just added to the atmosphere of the ship. Speaking of which, the sets in the movies are awesome. I really like how the Nostromo looks. I like that the cockpit is really busy with buttons and old monitors. I like that the living and eating quarters are covered with a fake, white plastic shell. All the rooms are small and cramped, it feels like what real space shuttles and space stations are like. I also like the way the android looks on the inside. I dunno, looks really fucked up, I love it.
What I Didn't Like.
I already kind of implied it, but there was a special intro for the 45th anniversary of the movie that basically just a big advertisement for the next Alien movie. I wouldn't even bring it up honestly, but they spoiled one of the deaths in the movie during it. What the hell? I also don't care for the ending. Not that I don't appreciate young Sigourney Weaver stripping down to her skivvies, but they are constantly flashing bright white lights over and over during the entire thing. Also I praised how the close-ups where utilized throughout the movie, but I felt like the overstayed their welcome by that point. I already know what the xenomorph looks like and what Ripley's sweaty forehead looks like, there is really no reason for them anymore. My final complaint is I don't like the amount of smoking and the use of flamethrowers in the movie. I praised how realistic the Nostromo felt, and this relates to that. Wouldn't the fire burn what limited oxygen they have on the ship? I dunno, that just keep popping into my head every time I see someone light up.
Final Summation.
This movie is damn good. I think I need to see the sequels. Even the ones everyone says are bad.

No comments:
Post a Comment