What? I thought "Uh...". I've never seen the first Gladiator. I know everyone is like "It's AMAZING!" and my manager loves it. But this is the manager who is also obsessed with Elf, alright? Everything I've seen about that movie was just grey monotone shots of white people. And while this movie's trailers had Denzel Washington, it looked the exact same. Just orange instead of grey.
What's The Movie About?
Maximus's illegitimate son from the first movie becomes a gladiator and seek revenge of the Roman general for killing his wife. Meanwhile, Denzel Washington is trying to destroy Rome.
What I Like.
Okay this movie's pretty cool, I guess I should watch the first one. First of all, Denzel Washington is amazing. He's the reason to watch the movie, which sounds like a dig to everyone else but it really isn't. I think Pedro Pascal is good in pretty much everything and this is no exception, and mostly everyone else is doing a really good job. It's just Denzel was eat up every scene and every person he was acting with. I really liked his character too. Even though he was the villain, I still kinda wanted him to win. The action of this movie is really cool. There was a part of the movie where I was like "If this movie is just arena fights with Pedro Pascal trying to overthrow Rome in between, this will be an awesome movie." It's not exactly that, but it is cool. It's completely ridiculous too, I'm completely on board. There's an arena fight where they flood the Coliseum and have the gladiators fight each other on boats. And to top the whole thing off, they put a bunch of sharks in the water. How did the Roman keep those sharks before using them? I don't know, but it was cool. The setting was really cool too. Clearly a lot of care and effort went into the costuming and making the locations they shot historically accurate, and it was greatly appreciated. I really got transported to a different time. Is this what grognards see when they play Carthage?
What I Don't Like.
The lead. Seriously, the guy who plays the Lucius is super boring. He's very generically stoic and doesn't have a lot of screen presence, which makes it funny that he's supposed to be this revolutionary leader. Honestly, I think the movie would have been better if his wife was the main character. Not only could there be a chance that the lead is better at acting, but I think a woman become this folk hero and leader of the common people would be more interesting. There's also some scenes where he sees into the afterlife or something that are really goofy. I also have no idea what the last shot of the movie is supposed to be.
Final Summation.
I like Gladiator II! It was a very energetic and fun movie with some cool action and a populace uprising, so I like it! Check it out!
Now let's talk about a shit movie.

No comments:
Post a Comment