Monday, September 30, 2024

Lee Review

...I don't know what this is. We got no trailers or posters for this movie, it just kinda appeared. I heard it was a biopic. It has to be better than all the other biopics that have came out this year. It has to be better than Reagan and Back to Black. It has to be.

What's the Movie About?

This is a biopic about Lee Miller, a war photographer during WWII who had to push back against sexism. 

What I Like.

It is better. Lee's pretty good. It's well made, presents a interesting person is an accurate light, and does so in an entertaining way. I hadn't heard about Lee Miller before this movie, although I had seen what is probably her most famous photo, and I like her. She a badass, take-no-shit yet compassionate person, who's hard drinking and pops pills but always strives to present the hard-hitting truth. Yes, she's basically every Noir protagonist but a woman and war photographer instead of a detective, but that's what I like about her. And looking it up it seems fairly accurate to the real life woman. Kate Winslet is, of course, great as the titular character, but I really liked Andy Sandberg in the movie too. He is, of course, a lighter presence in the movie, but he also has the saddest scene in the movie. I won't get into it because of spoilers, but I really like the way movie sets up Lee's story. There's a twist that I didn't really see coming, and the way they presented it was fascinating. There is also a pleasant amount of boob shots in the movie, I approve.

What I Didn't Like.

If I have to be critical, it is a WWII and "this women stood up to oppression" movie. They go through the beats you expect, and with the exception of the twist on the set-up, you know what is going to happen and when it will happen. But is that so bad? 

Final Summation.

I like Lee. It's a shame no one is watching it, but I can't expect anything else if this movie got no marketing. If you read this before it leave theaters, I recommend checking it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oscars 2025

It's that time again! The time where everyone gets highly critical of film criticism culture, even though barely anyone actually cares a...