Thursday, August 8, 2024

Oscars (2024)

Welp. I am now someone who makes their opinions of movies known publicly. So I guess I should make my opinions of the Oscar nominations known. And hey, I actually know about most of the movies nominated for once, so that' pretty neat. I'm just gonna run down the Best Picture nominations since that's all I really care about and give a quick opinion of all of them.

Anatomy of a Fall, Past Lives, and The Zone of Interest

I do not know anything about these movies, so I couldn't possibly comment on them. It's nice to see A24 getting the coveted "The Academy knows they have to pick one of their movies" spot.

Maestro

The only thing I know about this movie is that an old lady leaving the theater told my it was the biggest piece of shit she'd ever seen, so it'll be hilarious if it wins.

Killers of the Flower Moon

This is another "The Academy knows they have to nominate this movie" spot. I liked the trailer but the fact that it was four hours long and every scene I walked in on looked super depressing meant I skipped it. At least I learned who the Halluci Nation were though.

Oppenheimer

If I were a betting person, I'd put my money on Oppenheimer winning Best Picture. Not because I've seen it, I haven't,  but it's be one of those awards that a lot of people feel like it is long time coming for the director, and a lot of people say Oppenheimer is Nolan's best movie, etcetera etcetera... Whatever, I won't be too mad if it wins.

Barbie

Not even the Academy could escape Barbenheimer, but I bet they were happy when they realized they could have the obligatory feminist nomination and their obligatory pop culture nomination as the same movie this year. This movie is clearly not gonna win. How do I know? Well they gave Ryan Gosling a nomination for Best Supporting Actor, but didn't give Margo Robbie a nomination for Best Leading Actress. The Academy doesn't actually care.

The Holdovers

I'm honestly surprised the Holdovers is getting as much awards buzz as it is. Not that it's a bad movie, I really liked the Holdovers! It just feels like a movie that more high class critics (Like academy voters cough cough) would find excuses not to like. I hope Paul Giamatti wins Best Actor.

American Fiction

So I just put my review up, and I really like this movie. I would be super happy if this movie won, but I have a feeling it won't since it pretty savagely makes fun of a lot of white people.

Poor Things

This is the movie I want to win. And only because it is just so weird, everyone should watch it. I reviewed it already, and I'm not saying more here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oscars 2025

It's that time again! The time where everyone gets highly critical of film criticism culture, even though barely anyone actually cares a...