Friday, August 9, 2024

MaXXXine Review

Now onto part 2 of The Weirdest Triple Feature I've Ever Done. The reason I was excited for this movie was the trailer. Not only did it look really exciting, but I only saw the trailer twice. Do you know saturated the marketing in theaters now is? Do you understand how deflating it is to see the same ad over and over and noticing all the little parts that you realize are gonna be bigger issues. Or heck, a movie that has an amazing FIRST trailer and then the second one comes out at it completely ruins all prerelease goodwill you had for the movie. (Not mentioning any The Wild Robot I mean names.) Before you ask, I haven't seen X and Pearl. But I did read their plot descriptions on Wikipedia. They seem like modern 'splotation movies for sure. X seems interesting but I pretty sure I don't need to watch Pearl.

What's The Movie About?

Maxine Minx, the survivor of X, gets a big break as the lead in a horror movie. However, her past comes back to haunt her as the Night Stalker serial killer takes special interest in her.

What I Like.

This movie is pretty fucking awesome. My favorite part is the setting. Hollywood is portrayed and a neon, grimy, urban hellscape, filled with not just criminals or all sorts, but also puritan protestors. The movie is steeped in the satanic panic of the 80s, an idea I loved it in Late Night With the Devil and love here. The grime and sin of movie is excellent, and works great with the story. I really like the plot, it's simple but I think effective. (After the last two and next movie having so many plotlines, it was refreshing to have something that was straightforward.) All of the character were good. Actually, let me rephrase that, all the characters are well written. None of the characters are good people, but I like them anyway. I particularly like Maxine and the private detective played by Kevin Bacon. The gore in the movie is relatively brief, but very effective. And unlike the last movie I saw, I didn't feel so grossed out that I couldn't watch. Even when a guy's balls were getting crushed on screen. 

What I Didn't Like.

Eh.... Nothing? I mean there are definitely some parts that didn't really make sense, but I didn't care. I guess they killed Maxine's black friend, but at least he did something before getting murdered.

Final Summation.

MaXXXine is great, and I enjoyed myself a whole lot more than I thought I would. And I was already pretty optimistic going into this movie. My only other thought is that I guess I should watch X. I'm not at the point where I feel like need to watch Pearl yet, but that could change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oscars 2025

It's that time again! The time where everyone gets highly critical of film criticism culture, even though barely anyone actually cares a...