Thursday, August 8, 2024

I.S.S. Review

I had no idea what to expect from this movie. We had no trailers, no previews, and no poster for I.S.S. before it came out. I kinda liked the premise when I heard it, but it also put those periods in between the acronym for International Space Station. Also, this movie was going away really fast. My plan is to go in to see every new movie on one of my days off after the opening weekend. I.S.S. is pretty much going away after this week. And it opened last weekend. That's not a good sign!

What's This Movie About?

Nuclear war breaks out between America and Russia. The six astronauts aboard the International Space Station, three American and three Russian, receive orders from their government to "take the ISS, with any means necessary".

What I Like.

So the premise is a pretty solid sci-fi thriller premise. If you, like me, were questioning why the US and Russia would care about the ISS in the middle of a nuclear war, they do explain it. The scientists in the ISS were fairly compelling characters. I was invested and constantly flipflopping between who I wanted to survive. The tension of the situation is great. And as befits any movie that takes place in orbit, there are some gorgeous shots of earth and I got serious vertigo when the astronauts went to the outside of the station.

What I Don't Like.

So I praised the characters, and they were mostly good. But I also can't remember their names, and I'm writing this review an hour after I saw the movie. But the bigger issues are the sound editing and the camera work. I could not understand half the dialogue in this movie. Additionally, all of the shots in the movie are shaky and wavey. Yes, it's supposed to emulate being up in space with low gravity, but I was honestly getting seasick watching certain parts. Also there's some foreshadowing with rats that is pretty on the nose.

Final Summation.

I.S.S. is just okay. It's not great, but there are certainly worse movies you could go see. *cough cough Mean Girls cough cough* I do think it's a shame that this movie is going away so fast, but I understand why it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oscars 2025

It's that time again! The time where everyone gets highly critical of film criticism culture, even though barely anyone actually cares a...