Uuuurrrgh. Another rerelease, and another movie that came out of nowhere. ThIs Is GoInG tO bE pLeAsAnT. Look, the other two rereleases this year were the worst movies I've seen so far, can you blame me for being worried? I did find it slightly funny that Liam Neeson is a hit man in the movie and his weapon of choice is a double barreled shotgun. Real stealthy assassin there.
So full disclosure, I was somewhat intoxicated watching this movie. I can clearly remember what happened and comprehended the movie, which is why I'm still reviewing it, but I might be nicer than I would be sober.
What's The Movie About?
Liam Neeson is an assassin in Northern Ireland during The Troubles, and gets chased by some IRA members trying to kill him after he offs the brother of the leader for hitting a local child.
What I Like.
I dug the vibes of this movie. It is simultaneously pretty dark, but also pleasant? Like all of the characters are kind to each other for the most part, and there is a sense of community between all the town locals. But there is also a lingering darkness over every character and location in the film. I like most of the characters as well. Fiction has an excellent way of making sleepy little towns seem really nice and welcoming. Just everyone in them is friends and always helping each other out. (If only that were true in real life.) I like the music too, although I'm a freak who actually likes bagpipes, so take that into account. Also, petty and weird thing to compliment here, but I liked all the accents. Like Liam Neeson should just be allowed to act with his regular accent all the time, it is incredibly sexy.
What I Didn't Like.
I felt like the villains were a bit cartoonish. I liked the leader at the start of the film but by the end it was definitely a good guys versus bad guys scenario. There were also some explosion and fire effects that looked pretty poor, but the movie is pretty reserved action-wise so it's not egregious.
Final Summation.
I quite enjoyed In The Land Of Saints And Sinners. It has a good mix of dark themes, likable characters, and Celtic music. I could see some people not like the darker elements of the movie, but I honestly wished it was darker. Otherwise, worth the rerelease.

No comments:
Post a Comment