Friday, August 9, 2024

Furiosa Review

So who wasn't looking forward to this movie? Not surprising, considering that George Miller is a really good filmmaker. I don't even need to tell you what his biggest accomplishment is, I know you all know what movie a refer to and have seen it. I'd even wager you've seen it twice.

I was skeptical before the movie came out, to be honest. It felt like we didn't need this movie, to me anyway. Furiosa's character was explained as much as it need to be in Fury Road. It was giving me Solo: A Star Wars Story vibes is what I mean. (Although I kinda like that movie.)

What's The Movie About?

It's the story of Furiosa getting revenge on the guy that kidnapped her and killed her mother.

What I Like.

My skepticism was unwarranted. They do explain some aspects of Furiosa's mysterious backstory, but it's only the most important stuff, like how she lost her arm or became an Imperator for Immortan Joe. It actually fixed something that bothered me about Fury Road too, which was cool. But for the most part, this movie is an original story that just happens to have Furiosa as the main character. The action is quite different from the last movie, it has a very tactical and precise feel to everything, like every movement and shot counts. I prefer the chaotic action of the last movie for sure, but this was good. Chris Hemsworth as the villain is great, he's definitely the best character in the movie. Dementus is operatic, a schemer, and really knows how to manipulate people. He's also incredibly sleezy and selfish, but has a way with words. It's almost Shakespearean if I'm being honest. I like the way the way the three fortresses work, each one having a lot of something and all trading to each other. It was probably unnecessary to go into that much detail about how the operation works, but I really like interesting worldbuilding so I didn't care. What else, what else? Oh, the costuming, vehicles, and sets looks just as cool as you would expect. And Anya Taylor-Joy did a really good job, especially considering that she had to most of the acting with just her eyes. I also liked how the movie ended, but I think I might be the only one in my audience who did. I just really like Dementus's fate, that was cool. I will admit (Urgh, how do I explain this without spoilers...), it feels weird that they didn't take the opportunity to show us Charlize Theron as Furiosa at that point. You couldn't get her to make a cameo at the end?

What I Didn't Like.

There's a couple scenes that don't make 100% sense, and a couple scenes where the characters and vehicles really pop out of the green screen. Those aren't really a big deal to me though. What is a big deal is that this movie is too long! At times it seems to be purposefully dragging itself out, and it nearly three hours long! Plus, Furiosa is kinda only in half the movie. I mean, she's generally present throughout the whole runtime, but sometimes she's just not doing anything. And you really couldn't get Charlize Theron to make a cameo at the end?

Final Summation.

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga is very good. It's certainly a fun time and fans of the Mad Max series will love it. But the inevitable comparison to the George Miller masterpiece that everyone has seen does it no favors, and I just prefer to watch that. Basically what I'm saying is that compared to Babe: Pig in the City, Furiosa is



No comments:

Post a Comment

Oscars 2025

It's that time again! The time where everyone gets highly critical of film criticism culture, even though barely anyone actually cares a...