What's The Movie About?
After her mother dies, Gretchen moves to Germany with her father and stepfamily. Things get weird when she is chased down and attacked by a strange woman in the middle of the night.
What I Like.
My favorite thing about this movie I can't talk about. There's a mystery involving [REDACTED] and [REDACTED]. It's really cool and one of the most creative things I've seen all year. The atmosphere and vibes are really impressive as well. There's a theme of alienation and reconnection that, combined with the oppressive sound design and odd series of events, makes the movie feel makes almost ethereal. I like the main character Gretchen. She starts as a pain in the ass but he arch was cool and I like how the movie ends with her accepting her step-sister. The touch of her getting more injured and those injuries sustaining throughout the story was cool. Maybe a bit manipulative since you really feel bad and worried for her going into the finale with a massive head wound and broken arm. There's a really cool idea with what is going on as well, and while I felt like it was held back a bit by the budget, the enclosed setting did wonders for the story too. I'd be very interested in an expansion of the concept, maybe with different characters or a turning of the idea on it's head. Despite having a perfectly satisfactory explanation about what is going on, I do think there is room to expand on the [REDACTED], especially [REDACTED]. Finally, I like the music. I am so disappointed that Shazam didn't work and I had to look up the soundtrack after the fact. I'm even more disappointed that I couldn't find it! The bass instrumental is so good.
What I Didn't Like.
The front half of the movie has some very clunky exposition, but my bigger issue is that his is probably the worst random lesbians I've seen this year so far. I can't really get into it without spoilers, but I think if the main character wasn't gay, I wouldn't assume that this movie is a fetish movie. Probably. And this has nothing with the Cuckoo itself, but I'm going to call out my work for not being able to properly format the movie on the screen I watched it on. All of the subtitles were cut off at the bottom of the screen!
Final Summation.
I feel like I say this every other horror movie, but this is the best one I've seen this year so far. I'll probably rank every horror movie at the end of year, that'll be fun. Anyway, check out Cuckoo! It's really good!

No comments:
Post a Comment