Friday, August 9, 2024

Bad Boys: Ride or Die Review

A Will Smith cop movie? Oh boy...

Yeah this trailer looked pretty bad.  It was a lot of screaming, stupid jokes, and Martin Lawrence sounding really weird. Plus a movie as violent as this seemed where the main characters are cops seems in poor taste for me. Plus plus, the original two movies were made by Michael Bay!  I've never seen a Michael Bay movie, but he's got a reputation alright. 

Wait, I thought you were going to skip sequels that you haven't seen the original to. Did you fucking lie to me Roan? Well Buggnutz, I've been thinking. The reason I added that rule was because I was afraid of overloading my schedule, which doesn't seem to be an issue because the year is kind of light on releases. Also, I was concerned about being confused by what was happening in the movie, but that doesn't really seem to be an issue so far. Thinking about it, a good sequel should stand on it's own to a certain extent, right? 

What's The Movie About?

Will Smith and Martin Lawrence are cops who are framed by a different crooked cop, and need to get Will's son to Miami to turn evidence and clear their names.

What I Like.

This movie is insane, but in a good way. The action is incredibly frenetic and the plot goes a mile a minute. Some crazy person will show up and mug at the boys, then the situation will get resolved in a fun, action packed way. The jokes are dumb, but they are way funnier than the trailer made it seem. The trailer didn't misrepresent the movie necessarily, but they definitely edited out bits of the scenes showcased that makes the movie better quality. I don't know what was up with Martin sounding weird in the trailer though, he sounds completely fine in the movie. The acting as a whole is pretty good, although the emotions of the film is pretty simple. I thought the bad guys were pretty scary, and pretty effective until they need to make the climax happen. The best fight in the movie has to do with a tertiary character and I feel like long time Bad Boys fans will get a major kick out of it. I'm mixed about the cinematography in the movie. There is a lot of shaky cam and quick cuts, but I also never felt disoriented because the movie still makes it clear where everyone is and what is happening. I guess I give it a pass.

What I Didn't Like.

The movie is the worst kind of manly shy of being full misogynist. The emotional moments of the movie don't seem to be fully realized because either the filmmakers or the actors didn't want to look weak. Like you can't have a heart-to-heart to connect with your felon son Will Smith, what if the audience thinks you're a pussy? (Movie's tone and vernacular, not mine.) This comes to a head with the resolutions of Will and Martin's personal arcs, where the solution to solving their mental issues is violence. 

Final Summation.

You know what, I am pleasantly surprised once again. I like Bad Boys: Ride or Die. It's by no means my favorite movie, nor do I think it is a movie for everyone. But it you think you might be interested give it a shot. And if you are a fan of the series, I think you'd like this one as well.

A good start back from that week off. What's next on the docket?


SHIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oscars 2025

It's that time again! The time where everyone gets highly critical of film criticism culture, even though barely anyone actually cares a...